Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Flying out to Hong Kong and my first few days.

This is Naheed with the furry toys left in my bedroom after packing everything on the day that I left for Hong Kong. It was very sad to leave on Saturday, but I had to go.

My main ruck sack was overweight at 25kg so I had to leave some clothes behind. Managed to get it down to around 22kg which should be ok on a 20kg limit.

After checking in at the airport I can highly recommend checking in online if you ever get the chance. There was the usual long queue to check in baggage at the Virgin airport desk but the online check-in counter was empty expect for me and one other. It took me ten minutes to check in as opposed to the usual hour wait in the queue. I could also reserve my seat online earlier on which was also a big plus. I'll never check in at the standard desk again unless I have to.

There was also a funny moment at the airport security where they have started to check laptops separately. Unfortunately I had to carry two laptops through, I could almost hear the woman behind me 'tut' when I told the security woman that I had two laptops when I got to the font of the queue.

As it turned out the Virgin flight was very empty on the way to Hong Kong. As can be seen in the picture. I was at the very back of the plane and had a good few rows to myself. Managed to watch Flightplan, Mr & Mrs Smith and the latest Wallace and Gromet film on the flight. Surprised that they showed Flightplan as it involved a terrorist plot to blow up a plane! Managed to get four hours uninterrupted sleep so the flight went very smoothly.

Arrived in Hong Kong on the 30th to greet my parents and my sister who happened to be out in Hong Kong at the same time.

Went to Lamma Island on the 31st to see my grandma and my mum's side of the family which all come from there. Here is a photo of one of my uncle's houses on the island.

The Island has two sides to it, one side is a hippy commune and the other side is more of a small village with a couple of restaurants. You can guess which side my relatives live.

This is the view from the top of the above house looking outwards to the very small local pier.

Went shopping today with my sister to buy some shoes and clothes. Consumer products are so cheap in Hong Kong. Bought a new pair of the latest Reebok trainers for only £35 and a Muji coat for £25. Shopping here is definitely a plus point. However I have also been bitten three times by the local fauna. The mosquitoes appear to love snacking on my flesh. I always get bitten when I come over here. In fact I always get bitten by mosquitoes whenever they meet me abroad. Bastards!

I really hope they don't live in Sydney as well...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you with the plane so empty! I got bitten to pieces on Bubu island in Thailand, 25 bites on my back and all swollen up. I sympathise!

William Man said...

When I was a kid and had to come to Hong Kong in the height of their summer and mosquito season I used to get bitten all over. I still have some scars on my legs when I used to itch the bites till they bled. I'd never come here in the summer now. At least my parent's house is quite modern now and has air conditioning and mosquito gausses on the windows.