Friday, February 10, 2006

Customs and quarantine and more flat viewing.

We set of for an early start this morning to go and pick up a car that we rented for the day. I was nominated to drive the bungle bus to the airport to pick up our stuff that was shipped over here. We tried to get the largest vehicle that we could hire to pick up the ten suitcases and boxes. As you can imagine the only thing it has in common with my car is that it has four wheels. It was an automatic with a stick shift and handbrake as a foot peddle. Still it was easy to drive as I've driven an automatic before but didn't rev to 9k as my S2000 does.

Reversing it was fun though as I'm used to seeing a very short boot behind my left shoulder rather than two rows of seats and a boot as well.

We spent most of the morning at the airport customs and quarantine filling out forms and waiting at four separate queuing systems. At least none of us were shipping in any fruit or mud which might have been more fun.

This is the state of my box once it had arrived back at my hotel room. One corner of the box looks like it has been crushed a little. I'll not check the contents of the box as I'm afraid if I open the box I'll never be able to close it again. I'll wait till I've moved into my new more permanent apartment first. There's nothing in the box that I need right now.



Speaking of new apartments we went to see two more apartments both located in the same tower block. Both were really well decorated and included all appliances and small things like cutlery and ironing equipment which you wouldn't normally expect and would save me money and time in having to go and buy them.

One apartment was on the 10th floor with a balcony view of a motorway and the Sydney river beyond it. This apartment had a slightly better layout, but because of the view and being west facing was slightly cheaper. The other apartment on the 21st floor had this balcony (pictured) and a much better view of the Opera House too, but as can be seen there were some office blocks that could look into the apartment. I had better not hope the lifts don't break down in this one.

This apartment was north east facing which is much better for the intense setting sun, but it was also slightly more expensive. The layout of the apartment wasn't quite as good as the 10th floor one as it had a long corridor which made the actual living space feel slightly smaller.

Both had excellent specifications of furniture and fittings. Strangely enough they don't require a bond (deposit), didn't need references and I only have to give a weeks notice to leave the place. It sounded quite dodgy to me the more I asked about this. It could have been a guy who had acquired the keys to the apartment and then showed me around hoping to get a quick buck on it. Money talks as the estate agent said!

I've got to make a decision now as to which apartment to take, I think my choice will come down to this 21st floor apartment with all included rent and great views with balcony and the very first one I saw on Tuesday which had slightly better decor but no balcony but was cheaper, but then didn't include all the household stuff that I'll need.

Sorry I didn't take any photos of the inside of the apartments in this case. I think I was too excited by the prospect of living here to remember to take more photos.

What do you lot think? Higher or lower?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, neither are perfect, you'll end up hating them and your blog will degenerate into the mad rambling of a pre-suicide nutter. Go for the higher one, you're more likely to die when you throw yourself off your balcony.

Anonymous said...

The first one! But it's difficult to tell without a photo of the second. Has Andrew arrived yet? Make sure he doesn't drink too much beer, I want my running group to be in top condition!

William Man said...

Whoops, sorry Wiki, Andrew has arrived and we've just come back from a few beers down the local bars. Roger and I had to take him out as he was still wired from his flight and suffering from jet lag. Still we've made sure he's back at his hotel apartment but 12:30am. He did say that he wanted to go running this Sunday.

I've decided the extra cost of my own money is too much for the 21st floor flat. The view and balcony may be great but for the extra money it's just not worth it. I can easily reach terminal velocity in seven or eight floors anyhow and always pop out and walk a few hundred yards to see the opera house if I feel the need.

I'll probably change my mind tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

i've lived in high rises- of he council kind, and the view is always 'special', in one way or another- but you can never get away from piss-filled lifts! sorry!