Tuesday, February 07, 2006

First day in Sydney!

Finally I'm in Sydney. The flight was quite good for nine hour flight. Had some food, watched a film and then slept for five hours solid. It was a full flight though which wasn't so great.

This is my serviced apartment (hotel) room picture. The place is much better than I expected. It's a self contained flat really with more appliances than I have at home, like a dish washer and clothes drier. The only problems are that there is an office tower opposite and I'm convinced that they can look straight into my apartment. Not so great when I'm lounging around starkers in the morning and I can see some woman using the photo copier across the street! They also appear to do road works overnight here, great idea but not great when you can hear drilling and an angle grinder at midnight. Fortunately I was quite tired last night so slept easily.

Arrived at the hotel at around ten am yesterday and I couldn't check in yet so had a few hours to kill. I knew the Superbowl was on so after walking around a bit I found a massive sports bar come night club. They were showing the Superbowl to a handful of americans and australians. Met an american called Lester from Hawaii. He's retired from the Navy and was travelling around while his wife worked at home. Got his contact details so whenever I'm in Hawaii I can look him up!

Did a little sight seeing in the afternoon. As you can see from the photo it was really good weather and much too hot. Walked around the Opera house and some of the main streets finding my way around and getting lost quite often in the process.

Also had dinner in one of the Wagamamas here. The menu is much the same, but with additional seafood items, like chilli squid and more of a fish choice. Very tasty!

Also called around some estate agents and made some appointments to see some for the rest of this week.

In some ways Sydney is just like any other big city in the world. Everyone I've met so far is very friendly and willing to help me out. There are quite a few homeless people in the street at night though, but they generally ignore you.

Just to prove I'm really here this is a shot of my hair and the opera house.

The best thing, and the thing that hasn't really sunk in yet is that I was being paid to settle into Sydney yesterday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As you can see from the photo it was really good weather and much too hot.

Still very cold here, but you are missing two lots of doughnuts that Will and John have brought in on the same day.