Saturday, March 11, 2006

OK, Barclays isn't quite so crap...

After calling Barclays bank on Wednesday night they admitted that there had been an error on their part and would eventually refund me my lost £48. The initial customer advisor that I spoke to said that I couldn't even do an international transfer over the phone and would have to pop into a branch to do it. I told him that he was wrong and could I speak to someone else who knew what they were talking about.

The next advisor was much more helpful and said that they would look into my situation and call back within the hour. Half an hour later they called back and said that they would launch an investigation into the incident to try to find out exactly what had happened as there had obviously been a mistake on their part. They also said that they would make an immediate international transfer which would take priority and this would be free to me.

A couple of days later I did get the money into my Australian bank account, just in time to pay some bills and my rent for the next month. Phew!

I went to see Syriana on Wednesday night at the cinema. It was quite a good movie, not quite as convoluted as people had made out and all loose ends were tied up at the end of the movie. It's the sort of movie that makes you want to give up driving and reduce the amount of oil that you use. Well that thought lasted most of the evening for me, till I realised that I really do miss driving in my car, especially with all the great weather over here.

On my way home, despite it only being just before nine in the evening the trains were deserted. I thought there was something going on that I hadn't been told about. In my one stop trip home I didn't see anyone except for the train guards.

I've definitely not been eating the healthiest food for lunch every day while at work. There is so much choice around Sydney in what to eat. Almost every food court has a very wide range of food, from kebabs to sushi, via fresh fruit salads and Nandos too!

At least I haven't been eating out in the evenings very often, but I'll have to make more of an effort to eat healthier food at lunch times. With this and the Friday cake sessions at work and the tempting Krispy Kreme donut shop on my way back from the gym, I had better be careful.

Kebabs here are accepted lunch time foods, not just after half a dozen pints down the pub. They're no less greasy, but do have more exciting salads with them. Mmm, but I did feel sickly later on during work. Maybe that feeling occurs when I'm asleep normally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, kebabs. I had my favourite chicken kebab from Turkish Delight last Saturday and I got a Felafel kebab for Anne, she loved it. Result.

William Man said...

Was that after the ten pints she had? Did she love it as much when she felt sickly later from the salt and grease overdose?

Anonymous said...

Is that really what a kebab looks like? I've only ever seen a blurry one after 10 pints and a few vodkas past closing time!!!