Sunday, July 02, 2006

It's true what they say about riding a bike!

I decided that I really wanted to get further out of Sydney centre seeing as I've explored most of the centre. Rather than relying on my own feet and public transport to get around I figured that it would be a good idea to get a bike to get around.

I chose the bike on Saturday and the very helpful guy at the bike shop said he would prep my bike and have it ready for me on Sunday. I felt like a young kid again after ordering the bike, as if it was Christmas, I was so excited.

I picked it up today after my normal gym session. I was quite anxious when picking it up to be honest. Remember that I've not ridden a bike since I learnt to drive and that was when I was 18! So it's been almost 18 years since I've ridden a bike.

The guys at the shop asked if I wanted to ride the bike home. Images of them all watching me ride off into the nearest lamp post or car convinced me that I should say no and walked off with the bike, helmet and bike lock. Once I got home I decided that today was as good a day as any to try for a ride so I put on the hair flattening helmet and took the bike onto the streets of Sydders.

Well more truthfully my first few goes were four laps around my apartment on the pavement. I was very very shaky at first and it took quite a lot of concentration to get going again. After a few hundred yards it was all starting to come back to me and I felt confident enough to tackle the roads.

By this time I was picking up courage and started to cycle down to The Rocks near my apartment. Then I went further a field around the harbour and then across the Harbour Bridge. Cycling along the Harbour Bridge was really good fun and I really enjoyed the freedom of cycling again.

It made such a change to be able to slow down to a reasonable speed to be able to take in the scenery around me. I found the effort involved in cycling very easy as I cycle and row quite a lot in the gym anyhow. The only thing that was really tricky was trying to take in the street signs while looking out for cars at the same time.

Still after a while it did get much easier. I must admit to not giving any hand signals when riding about though as cycling one handed is still a little shaky on my bike. I'm sure that this will improve with time though.

It also felt very strange to be on the road and not in the safety of a car too. Not having that protective metal around me did make me feel vulnerable to the other cars on the road. When overtaking parked cars you're always aware of cars moving to overtake you and also cycling though junctions I was always thinking that a car might just drive though me!

Still I made it around Sydney for ninety minutes without an accident today so can't wait for next weekend when I can cycle and explore some more around Sydders.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone should be made to ride around a town or city for a year before driving, it will make all drivers a lot more aware that life is fragile and theres more stuff outside that metal box that you need to be aware of.
Well done on the cycling, did you buy the bike? If so, nice choce, Trek are a god make, I'll take you up and down a moutain on it when you get back.

William Man said...

Don't get me wrong Davey, I still love my S2000, my bike won't give me the thrill of doing 150 mph past schools, theoretically! :-)

I did buy the bike as it was an almost bottom of the range model at only £210, the prices went up to several £1000's for a bicycle!

I plan to sell it before I come back and buy another one in the UK. I can even get a bike rack for my car, so I can do 150mph in my car with my bike too, but I suspect that misses the point of having a bike really.

You're welcome to take me up and down a mountain on it when I get back Davey, but how will you balance me on your back while riding my obviously small for you bike?

Anonymous said...

but have you passed your cycling proficiency test yet?
i never learnt to ride a bike when i was young- so i'll take your word for how much fun it is!

William Man said...

No I haven't. I may have done it when I was younger but I can't remember.

Do you think it matters? :-)

I'm just waiting eagerly for my first accident, hopefully it won't be a fatal one.

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea buying a mountain bike - I'd recommend getting on the train out West to the Blue Mountains and putting it to the test! BTW, no wonder you were shaky on the bike - you're not supposed to take pictures whilst cycling :o)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Will, I have my own bike, you can come for a backy (not a strange sexual practice) with me on that.