Monday, September 04, 2006

My final day and which blind date I went for...

On my final day here I managed to delay my check out time at my hotel so I could enjoy some of the facilities. My flight wasn't till after lunch so I had half a day free to relax.

And, relax I certainly did! I was booked into a 5* star hotel as I wanted to spoil myself for my birthday. The place was quite deserted as it was the low point of the tourist season. I had the hotel pool and surrounding sun lounges to myself till eleven.

It was absolute bliss to sun myself in the morning sun and take a dip into the pool whenever I wanted to. I couldn't imgine a better end to my short break and two long days walking than to relax in the sun beside a nice pool. I must admit that it did cross my mind to delay my flight back to Sydney and take another day holiday. I could have quite easily done so but figured I'll have other holidays later on next month and it was quite expensive to stay here another night.

On my flight home I took some good photos of some of the Australian landscapes.

Here's one of the massive salt lakes that are in the centre of the country. Very impressive from this height, possibly less so from the ground level.

I've had an amazing four days holiday on my own. Seeing Uluru was good, the Olgas impressive, but the long walk around Kings Canyon was something else!

If anyone reading this has a chance to visit this area of Australia then I would recommend that the visit Kings Canyon above all else, despite the attraction of Uluru, the canyon is much more spectacular. Where else could you walk right up to the edge of a 100 metre drop with such fantastic views?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And just like your kangaroos, King's Canyon was the one I missed. D'OH!

PS. RIP Steve Irwin.

Anonymous said...

Hi Will, Happy Birthday! The pics are great, I won't have to go to Australia ever again!