Monday, September 04, 2006

Miss Olga.

In the afternoon of my first full day after Uluru I went to see the Olgas. They are often overlooked as Uluru dominates most of the tourist itineraries. They are around a half hour drive from Uluru.

All I can say is that in my opinion they are much more impressive than Uluru. There is a long three hour walk that you can do that is called The Valley of the Winds Walk and allows you to walk though some of the Olgas. The views on this walk were spectacular and something I will remember forever, especially on my birthday.

It's quite a long walk at a 7.4km walk, but there are two water points along the walk where you can replenish your water supplies and take a rest in some shade.

Some of the views from when the rocks tower above you from either side are awesome. There were very few people doing the long walk, so I could quite easily get away from everyone and be on my own to enjoy the peace and scenery.

I stayed around the Olgas till after sunset and then headed back to my hotel. The sunset was quite good too as I managed to catch the moment when the Olgas change from orange to red to brown just when the sun just sets on the horizon. It was quite a colour change and took me by surprise when I was looking at the rocks.

No comments: