Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Langsett Ride.

Last weekend I went out on a ride around Langsett reservoir in The Peaks.

The weather was quite good cycling weather, not too windy and not too cold either for this time of year. It could have been a little drier though as I was to find out.

Langsett reservoir.

I planned a short ten km ride around the area from a guidebook. I also had a new GPS toy, which I wanted to test out. I bought a new Garmin Oregon GPS unit to help my navigating around on my bike routes. I figured it would be very useful when I'm out on my own. Getting lost in a group of bikers can be quite good fun, but when you're on your own it isn't so much fun.

A view from the North America peak down to the reservoir.

The ride started off with a gentle if rocky climb up to the top of the peak near the reservoir. Towards the end of the climb, I had to walk as it was proving difficult to cycle though the dense ferns. There was a path but I was unable to see it to cycle though it easily.

From the top of North America, a trail that I was to follow.

The trail along the top of the peak was very difficult to follow. The previous nights heavy rain had caused the trail to become very boggy and almost impossible to ride. As a result I ended up walking half the route while it steadily climbed.

Dark Peak, I now know why.

At the other end of the peak the boggy path was replaced with a decent downhill trail at Mickleden Edge. As usual in the steep valleys around here there was a good drop on one side while the other was a steep hill.

It was a fantastic ride along a gently dropping path down into the valley. I managed to get up quite a bit of speed along the descent and came across a few other mountain bikers going the other way.

The start of the descent along Mickleden Edge.

At the end of the long descent the trail had a sudden climb just after a ford, because I had built up some speed I flew though the ford and managed the quick climb without stopping. I had a fantastic grin on my face after this.

The Mickleden Edge route from the other side.

After this there was some more downhill sections into Delf Edge. It was quite enjoyable, if a little scary at one point as I was going down some long stone steps. Still I made it and was very happy that I managed to do so without going over my handlebars. ;-)

It was only a short two-hour ride, but a very enjoyable one. To think that I was only twenty minutes drive from Debbie's house and out in the middle of nowhere in The Peaks. Absolutely fantastic!

No comments: