Sunday, August 20, 2006

Out to the wild west.

I headed out west today, not wanting to go anywhere in particular other than just west from Sydnew centre as I hadn't been west on my bike.

I went passed the Sydney fish market which is just past the the very touristy Darling Harbour and Pyrmont bridge. To be honest I expected the Sydney fish market to be a lot bigger than it really was. Its more a load of small restaurants and fish stalls rather than a traditional fish market. Still the price of fish is quite cheep there and there were plenty of Chinese people there buying up all the fish stocks on a Sunday lunch time.

The picture above is the eastern on ramp to the Anzac bridge which is Sydney's newest bridge. It was quite good fun to cycle up and even more fun to cycle down it at speed on my way back.

This is the Anzac bridge. It's only a small bridge but makes quite an impression when you're cycling across it. There were the ususal great views of the other side of Sydney Harbour and the Harbour bridge.

As usual with the rest of the city, there is a well built cycle and pedestrian lane along the bridge to seperate yourself from the cars. I've noticed that in most areas of Sydney where they have put extra effort in to add cycle paths around the harbour and greener areas. There are even some special cycle path signs to guide cyclists around special routes around the city.

From the Anzac bridge I headed further west to Rozelle where there was this great bay where you could cycle around. The Sydney college of art was right next to the bay so there were plenty of students and rowing clubs about the place. I lost count of the number of rowing clubs after the fourth one that I saw there. I'd be quite jealous of any student studying in Sydneey that's for sure!

On my way back I passed though Balmain where Deirdre and Allen have their rented house. I really didn't realise how close their place was to the bay as I had only visited them by taking the bus. I can well understand why they chose Balmain to live in when coming here for the second time.

I went though the Pyrmont Bay on my way back home. There were plenty of modern apartments there which have excellent views of the harbour. It is the Sydney equivalent of Canary Wharf in London I guess. The very expensive apartments are just to the right of this photo and you can just make out the Harbour bridge on the left.

Incidentally my apartment is located just next to the tallest building you can see on the right of the photo.

No comments: