Monday, May 08, 2006

The Art Gallery of NSW and you really can't leave a gym once you've joined!

I went to the Art Gallery of NSW on Sunday afternoon. It's an absolutely fantastic building in the middle of The Domain which is one of the many parks in Sydney.

There is a good collection of Australian artists work on show as well as a good sized far eastern set of works. I particularly liked a set of Japanese paintings that they had on show which was meant to be part of a collection of works showing views of Japan.

There is also a small waxwork of this old woman on show. She wasn't to scale just a shrunken version of what an old woman might look like. She was very realistic though and you could almost believe that she was sleeping in the middle of the gallery.

She did remind me of some works that I once saw in a London gallery. The works were almost identical and were probably by the same artist.

I was also quite pleased because I managed to recognise a Barbara Hepworth piece of work before looking at the label. It's helped by the fact that her work is quite unique and I was only at St Ives last September.

This is a view of the main restaurant of the gallery. It doesn't really show the amount of space and view properly but you get the idea. I'm going to have to have a meal here someday.

Start of a rant and rave now so watch out! I'm still having to pay membership at the Fitness First in Bristol. Despite the branch in Sydney saying that they have transferred my membership details and the Bristol branch saying that they are all ready for my details to be transferred. As a result I'm now paying for membership at both branches. Bloody big grrr! I called them today and they first tried to fob me off by telling me that the Bristol payment was a last one for leaving that branch, but I wouldn't have any of it and complained some more. In the end they just said they would look into it some more and call me back.

It really is true that once you join a gym you really can't leave! I would cancel payments but it's not a direct debit or anything, they just have my bank card details and take money out once a month.

On the plus side, the XE Trade web site has turned out to be a fantastic way to move money from my UK account to my Australian one and it's very cheap to do at only £6 for each transfer. Forget Barclays, I'm going to leave them as soon as I get back to the UK permanently next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't we all cultured then. So, was the shrunken old lady barbara Hepworth then? Aren't all old women ready shrunk, if she was extra shrunk how did you manage to see her, she must have been microscopic.

Keep up the blogs, I love em, I'm living an exciting life through you.

Still raining in Manchester by the way. But Barnsley are in the play-offs, so what do I care.

William Man said...

I'd like to think so Davey, but in your eyes I'll always be that manic man yelling 'Akira' at you with a big smile on my face.

I'm sure the blog will get much better later on in the year when some of you lot visit me and I finally get to go on holiday over here to see other sites outside of Sydney.

Anonymous said...

It's called 'mummification'... ;-)

How are the feet, dave?

Will - if you're going to do it anyway, change your (UK) bank account now (to one you can do over a phone or web - Smile, IF, First Direct, whatever) and see how far Fitness First get trying to remove money from a non-existant bank account...